3 Tips for Homeowners to Prevent Water Damage
While some water loss situations are unpreventable there are still ways to prevent others. Here are a few tips to prevent water damage in your home.
- Regularly check on in home appliances. Water heaters over time occasionally begin to rust and then leak. Dishwasher, washing machines, and refrigerators often have wear and tear on the water lines resulting in a leak and ultimately water damage.
- Test your sump pump. Sump pump failure is a very common cause for water damage and one that here at SERVPRO of York, James City and Poquoson get calls about frequently. It is generally recommended to check the sump pump once a year.
- Check your roof. Visual checks of the roof allow for the prevention of rain water creeping in. Any signs of cracks, curling or missing shingles should be fixed as soon as possible to prevent any further serious damage.
It is also extremely important to note where your main water valve is located. During a leak it may be necessary to have to turn your water off having the knowledge of where your main water valve is will save you in the long run.
In case of any water damage call us today! SERVPRO of York, James City and Poquoson offers 24 Hour Emergency Service just for our customers so any issue can be “Like it never even happened.” We are waiting by the phones 757-229-3442.
Important Items for a First Aid Kit
Accidents happen often times unpredictable and out of our control that it why it is important to stay prepared in case of something as minor as a small cut or as large as a natural disaster. These are some important items to include. It is imperative to regularly check the kit and keep it well stocked. Some larger homes may even benefit from having multiple kits readily accessible.
- 2 absorbent compress dressings (5 x 9 inches)
- 25 adhesive bandages (assorted sizes)
- 1 adhesive cloth tape (10 yards x 1 inch)
- 5 antibiotic ointment packets
- 5 antiseptic wipe packets
- 2 packets of aspirin
- 1 emergency blanket
- 1 instant cold compress
- 2 pair of nonlatex gloves
- 2 hydrocortisone ointment packets
- 1'3 in. gauze roll bandage
- 1 roller bandage (4 inches wide)
- 5'3 in. x 3 in. sterile gauze pads
- 5 sterile gauze pads (4 x 4 inches)
- 2 triangular bandages
Do you have a first aid kit? How many of these items do you currently have in your home in case of an emergency. When prevention cannot be implemented, then being proactive in response is key.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned – a defensive cleaning program
Our defensive cleaning program gives your business a way forward by providing your employees and customers ongoing safety and assuredness.
Let us help you get back to business
As our communities re-open, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and well is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
We’re Here to Help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – until life is back to normal in the communities we all call home.
Call SERVPRO of York, James City, and Poquoson today at 757-229- 3442 for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
* #1 Choice in cleanup & restoration based Commercial Attitude & Usage Tracking study. Polling 816 commercial business decision makers on first choice for future needs related to cleanup & restoration work. Study conducted by C&R Research: October 2019
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience. Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.
We are Cleaning Experts
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned Window Cling
SERVPRO is Here to Help during this time of need
During this unprecedented time caused by the global pandemic of coronavirus, this is a reminder to our customers that we are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
We are prepared to clean and disinfect your home or business, according to protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and tables. Other spaces mentioned in the CDC’s guidance for commercial spaces include:
- Kitchen/Food Areas
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevator Cars
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities.
Call Today for a Proactive Cleaning
If your home or business needs deep cleaning services, call the experts today – SERVPRO of York, James City and Poquoson 757-229-3442
Safety - Newslines
Wireless Emergency Alerts or WEAs are emergency messages sent by authorized government alerting authorities through your mobile carrier. Government partners included local and state public safety agencies, FEMA, the FCC, the Department of Homeland Security, and the National Weather Service. Alerts received at the right time can help keep you safe during an emergency with WEA, alerts can be sent to your mobile device when you may be in harm's way, without need to download an app or subscribe to a service WEA may share:
- Extreme weather warnings
- Local emergencies requiring evacuation or immediate action
- AMBER Alerts
- Presidential Alerts during a national emergency
A WEA will look like a text message on your mobile device. The WEA message will typical show the type and time of the alert, any action you should take, and the agency issuing the alert. The message will be no more than 90 characters.
Not only does the thought of having mold scare most people, due to the fact they think it’s toxic. For some people it can be harmful unsafe to breath in mold. Mold comes is different strains, colors, textures, and growth rates. That's why you should leave it to the SERVPRO Professionals to come in and decide the best plan of action if you think there is a possibility of you having mold.
If you think have mold in any part of your house or place of business give our office a call. We’ll send an estimator out for a $155 fee to tell you where the mold is coming from if you do in fact have mold. Also our SERVPRO professional estimators will draw up a detailed plan to rid the structure of mold.
SERVPRO professionals offer many tools to help their customers in the middle of disasters. However now SERVPRO professionals are offering a tool to their customers to help prepare them before disaster even strikes. This new tool is called an ERP (Emergency Ready Profile) which can be downloaded from the Apple or Android App store by searching SERVPRO. This app allows SERVPRO to set up a date and walk your property with you, to create a profile for what you would be during a fire or water damage. The app holds the information for where the water, electrical, gas, and computer server shut offs are located in your building along with contact and account numbers for those companies. The free SERVPRO app also details where the best location for SERVPRO vehicles to park during an emergency. Your contact person at SERVPRO also has their phone number listed so you just open the app and dial.
Arson & Vandalism
For many commercial properties like hotels, apartments, or offices there are a range of every day disasters that can strike that don’t include fire or water damage. Arson and vandalism are a common occurrence in commercial properties. SERVPRO professionals are recognized as experts at helping property owners recover quickly from fire and water damages but also when vandalism happens. Many times people think that you just paint over the graffiti or other methods used. That however is not the case. SERVPRO professionals come in and provide general vandalism cleaning and deodorization services for graffiti, egg and spoiled foods, and human or animal waste that people feel the need to use. SERVPRO professionals are have specialized chemicals the SERVPRO makes to rid a property of smell and remove the cause of the smell.
Fire Damage - tips for while you wait
When fire damage happens at your home or property it is a terrifying moment, because you don’t know what to do once everyone has made it out safely. So here are some tips to help you while you wait for our crews to reach your property:
Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet
Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork
Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas
If electricity is off, empty freezer/fridge completely and prop doors opens to help prevent odor
Wipe soot from chrome kitchen/bathroom faucets, trim, appliances then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant
If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks, and tubs to avoid freezing pipes
Change HVAC filter; leave system off until a trained professional can check the system
Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC
Water Damage - tips while you wait
When water damage happens you could know about it a few minutes or days after it starts. So here are some tips to help you while you wait for our crews to reach your property if the water source is clean:
Shut off the water source if possible or contact a professional to do so
Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building if access to the power distribution panel is safe from potential electrical shock. Do not enter rooms with standing water as electrical shock hazards may exist.
Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting. Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items
Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushion to allow more even drying
Move any painting, art objects, computers, documents and other valuable items that may be sensitive to moisture
Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors as they may cause staining
Do not use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water as there is potential for electrical shock or causing damage to the vacuum cleaner
Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet: don’t enter rooms where ceiling are sagging from retained water